In this episode Scott and Todd discuss pastoral recruitment, why it is hard to encourage men for the Holy Ministry, and Jesus' ongoing work of pastoral formation. They also mention David Maxwell's article on the Nicene Creed, and have a short discussion about caring for transgenders in the Church.
Readings for Epiphany IIIb
- Old Testament: Jonah 3:1-5, 10
- Epistle: 1 Cor 7:29-31 (32-35)
- Gospel: Mk 1:14-20
Mark 1:14 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, 15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”
Mark 1:16 Passing alongside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew the brother of Simon casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 17 And Jesus said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men.” 18 And immediately they left their nets and followed him. 19 And going on a little farther, he saw James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, who were in their boat mending the nets. 20 And immediately he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants and followed him.
WHERE TO FIND US
Todd and Scott co-host THE CRUX OF THE MATTER.
You may find Todd Peperkorn in the cyberverse @toddpeperkorn on Twitter or facebook.com/toddpeperkorn on Facebook. He also blogs, posts sermons, and random nonsense at Lutheran Logomaniac and Dark My Road. Todd’s parish is Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Rocklin, California.
Email the show at email@example.com
To subscribe directly, please paste the following link into your pod-catcher of choice:
To subscribe via iTunes, please go to:
LINKS MENTIONED RELATED TO THE SHOW
- Guiding Themes for Pastoral Education
- Luther's Sacristy Prayer: http://www.ctsfw.net/media/pdfs/LutherASacristyPrayer.pdf
- Coptic Church in South Milwaukee (Flickr Photos)
WHAT’S BRINGING JOY OR INTEREST THIS WEEK
- The Nicene Creed in the Church, David Maxwell’s article in the Winter 2015 issue of Concordia Journal.
- The Self-Made Man, by Norah Vincent
- Voluntary Madness, by Norah Vincent
- The Man Who Would be Queen, by J. Michael Bailey